Component: Innovative aspects of MPA management
Component leaders: IUCN Med and Consejeria de Medio Ambiente, Junta de Andalucia
The Component 3 of the project covers the innovative aspects of MPA management, including management effectiveness monitoring, MPAs and climate change, MPAs and invasive species and marine Natura 2000.
The objectives of Component 3 are the following:
Management effectiveness monitoring:
- Providing the Mediterranean MPA network with a harmonized methodology to help the MPA managers evaluate the effectiveness of their management and create a team of experts in the evaluation of MPA management effectiveness.
MPA and climate change:
- Providing the MPA managers and the Mediterranean MPA network with operational guidelines to address the issue of climate change in Mediterranean MPAs and common strategic orientations in the network.
MPA and invasive species:
- Providing the MPA managers and the Mediterranean MPA network with strategic orientations at the network level.
Marine Natura 2000:
- Providing MPA managers with a management toolbox specific to marine Natura 2000 sites and available online.
Involvement of civil society in MPA monitoring:
- Providing MPA managers with an example of pilot project that involves scuba divers in the monitoring of the marine environment in MPAs (Consejeria de Medio Ambiente, Junta de Andalucia).