MedPAN supports small projects in Mediterranean MPAs
Supporting Mediterranean Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) is at the heart of MedPAN's mission.
To this end, the network has set up a small projects scheme that aims to help MPAs provide a sustainable protection of biodiversity, while ensuring the sustainable economic development of human based activities.
These small projects provide direct support to MPA managers for the implementation of concrete actions, which will improve management effectiveness, test pilot schemes or put in place tools that can be useful to other MPAs.
2014 Call for Small Projects
MedPAN is launching on April 14th a new Call for Small Projects (CSP) to support the actions led in Mediterranean MPAs.
The aim of this Call for small projects is to:
- Reinforce the management of the MPAs from an Integrated Coastal Zone Management (ICZM) and sustainable financing perspectives,
- Support sustainable management and development of economic activities, especially tourism and fishing.
This Call for small projects is split into 2 parts:
- Call for Small Projects – Part A (CSP A):
for project/actions implemented by MPA managers or by organizations responsible or involved in the MPA management. The organizations must be MedPAN members or become members of the MedPAN Association before the implementation of the project – or be partners of the MedPAN Association.
The activities concerned by CSP A are:
- Management Planning from an ICZM perspective,
- Innovative financing mechanisms,
- Sustainable fisheries management,
- Sustainable tourism management.
Please download the rules and the grant application form of the CSP Part A.
- Call for Small Projects – Part B (CSP B):
for actions undertaken by organizations (NGOs, private companies, scientific institutions, and so on…) collaborating with MPA managers who are MedPAN members (or future members of the MedPAN Association) or MedPAN partners.
The activities concerned by CSP B are:
- Developing sustainable tourism activities in MPAs,
- Developing sustainable and alternatives fishing activities in MPAs.
Please download the rules and the grant application form of the CSP Part B.
The call for small projects is open between April 14th and May 30th 2014 at 6 pm. The MPA managers and their partners who wish to participate will need to send a grant application form to the MedPAN Secretariat during this period. The best projects will be selected by June 30th 2014.
You will find all the details regarding participation eligibility, the type of projects that are required and the selection process in the rules document of the Call for Small Project.
To submit a grant request:
1. Read carefully the rules and assess whether your structure and project are eligible.
2. Fill in the grant application form.
3. Send it with all the necessary documents to Marianne Lang, officer in charge of the call for small projects (firstname.lastname@example.org) by May 30th 2014 at 6 pm.
Call for projects closed on 30 May 2014 at 6:00pm (Paris time, GMT+1).
3 Calls for Small Projects between 2011 and 2013
Three Calls for Small Projects were launched between 2011 and 2013 and 17 projects were funded around five main themes (Sustainable management of tourism, reinforcement of ecological monitoring, communication and environmental education actions, sustainable management of fisheries, consultation and mediation with stakeholders).
The scheme was widely mobilised for pilot and innovative actions that can be replicated in other MPAs.
For more information on the projects financed, we invite you to: