The DestiMED project
DestiMED is a project funded by the Interreg MED Programme and aims at building the pre-conditions for a Mediterranean destination management organization (DMO) that will harmonize quality standards and tools to monitor compliance and to propose attractive ecotourism offers promoted through a lasting brand.
More specifically, the project will further develop and test ecotourism standards, offers and monitoring tools in 13 protected areas around the basin - forming the quality scheme of a future DMO. It will build on results of the MEET (Mediterranean Ecotourism Experience) project, where different planning and marketing approached were created and tested. These results will be enriched through the use of a monitoring tool.
- Mediterranean Ecotourism Destinations Standards: Creating a "quality" framework at interregional level (Mediterranean ecotourism sustainability standard and monitoring)
- Monitoring system to assess the level of sustainability of tourism offer at Park level: enhancing the reasonable use of resources (local destinations sustainability checks and trainings)
- DestiMED Ecotourism products: supporting stakeholder's integration (local clusters and regional representation) through an integrated, transversal and territorially based cooperation approach.
- Guidelines for the establishment of eco-tourism management plans for Mediterranean Protected Areas: prepare the framework of the forthcoming governance system (DMO) for Mediterranean Ecotourism in Protected Areas
- Lazio Region - Italy (project coordinator)
- MedPAN - France
- WWF Adria - Croatia
- WWF Mediterranean - Italy
- UICN Mediterranean - Spain
- Association for Protection and Preservation of Natural Environment - Albania
- Federparchi - Italy
- Global Footprint Network - Belgium
MedPAN is responsible of coordinating Pilot Actions implementation in Marine and/or Coastal Protected Areas in France.
A call for interest for the implementation of ecotourism pilot actions was launched on February 21.
The documents are available in the upper right corner of the page.