MedPAN aims to promote the establishment, the operation and the sustainability of a Mediterranean network of MPAs..
The MedPAN organisation was created at the request of some Mediterranean Marine Protected Areas managers in 2008 with the mission to ccordinate the MedPAN network, the network of Marine Protected Areas managers that exixts since the 90s. For more information consult the History section of this site.
The non profit organisation was created in 2008 and its permanent secretariat is in place since the end of 2009. For more information consult the Governance section of this site.
MedPAN works with its members and partners as well as with governmental and non governmental organizations on a local, national, regional and international level to develop its activities.
In 2012 the organisation focuses on:
- Analysis of the MPA network in the Mediterranean
- MAPAmed, MPA database and regular MPA network status reports
- MPA management support
- Resource centre (Information watch, tools…)
- Experience sharing workshops
- Design of a permanent capacity building process
- Field projects support
- Trans-national projects set up on relevant issues
- Scientific strategy
- Governance and regional and international coordination
- Representation of the network with regional, European and international bodies and in related conferences
- Organisation of the Mediterranean MPA forum in November 2012
- Coordination of MedPAN's governance bodies
- Development of strategic partnerships (RAC /SPA, WWF, IUCN, Conservatoire du Littoral, ACCOBAMS, GFCM, Blue Plan...)
- Communication and education
- Communication on the MPA network to MPA managers, relevant industry protagonists, the general public and Mediterranean countries authorities