Programme de la formation
1 April 2014 – Mas Caials, Parc Natural de Cap de Creus, Cadaqués
Plenary sessions - MPAs as observatories of Mediterranean changes
Plenary session – Why is it important to monitor climate change in MPAs?
Plenary session – Monitoring for MPAs: 'Science for management'
- Why MPAs are relevant for the study of climate change effects? Joaquim Garrabou.[download presentation]
- Tropical signals: example of regional program for monitoring impacts of Climate Change on Marine Biodiversity. Jamila Ben Souissi. [download presentation]
- T-MEDNet: from local initiatives to a regional coastal temperature monitoring network. Nathaniel Bensoussan. [download presentation]
Training session per group – Simplified tools/protocols for MPA managers
Each group participated to all trainings.
- Training 1. Monitoring coastal temperatures and water column stratification. Nathaniel Bensoussan. [download presentation]
- Training 2. Assessing the conservation status of key macrobenthic species: gorgonian populations. Cristina Linares. [download presentation]
- Training 3. Assessing the abundance of indicator fish species. Ernesto Azuro. [download presentation]
2 April 2014 – L'Estartit and Medes Islands, Montgri, Illes Medes and baix ter Natural park
- Excursion to the Medes islands
- Visit of Josep Pascual's Maregraph at l'Estartit harbor
Plenary session. Allocating time and effort
- The l'Estartit time series, 40 years of oceanographic observation. Josep Pascual.
- Training 4. Monitoring protocols for invasive species. Emma Cebrian. [download presentation]
- Case study on the use of monitoring protocols to study invasive algal species in the Medes region. Boris Weitzmann. [download presentation]
3 April 2014 – Mas Caials & Sol Ixent, Cadaqués
Plenary session. Emerging/threatening issues.
- Ocean acidification. Purificació Canals.
- Monitoring of the impacts of Siganus rivulatus and Siganus luridus in Turkish MPAs. Zafer Kizilkaya. [download presentation]
Plenary session. Manager's feedback on the application of simplified monitoring protocols
Plenary session. Introduction to the use of some web platforms
Plenary & work group facilitated discussions. Integrating CC into monitoring practices for the buildup of a Mediterranean MPAs climate change monitoring network: how to proceed? Participants were shared in 2 groups by language affinity (french/english).
- Presentation of the co-creation work group exercises. Joaquim Garrabou.
- Step 1, 2 groups in parallel. Features for designing a climate change monitoring network
- Step 2, 2 groups in parallel. Concepts, opportunities and challenges to fulfill the features
- Wrap up of the outcome of the two groups
4 April 2014 – Mas Caials & Sol Ixent, Cadaqués
- Excursion to Cap de Creus.
Parallel working session: Maintaining and extending existing surveys/networks
- How to maintain and implement (sub) regional monitoring initiatives?
- Feeding afternoon conclusions.
Plenary session: Facilitated discussions and perspectives for future steps
- A network for monitoring CC in MPAs: Building from local initiatives. Chloë Webster, Nathaniel Bensoussan, Joaquim Garrabou.
- Victòria Riera Aragó and Purificació Canals.